It’s asparagus season! I absolutely love this vegetable. It definitely makes me feel like spring is here, although the weather this year is a bit questionable. There’s so many ways to cook with asparagus, but one of my favourite ways is to simply grill it, keeping it crunchy yet charred.
There’s something so fresh and satisfying about asparagus, maybe it’s the vivid green colour. I always trim off the ends but keep them to add to soups or stews later.
I served my asparagus with a soft boiled egg and a spicy olive tapenade that was gifted to me. It’s made from olives, chillies, aubergines, mushrooms and more. But you can use anything you have in your cupboard, such as pesto, harissa or sun-dried tomato paste. Anything goes! You know me, I just like the spicy kick.
I finished the dish with a sprinkle of Maldon salt and it really does make all the difference. Beautiful flakes of sea salt really wake your taste buds up!
This isn’t exactly a recipe, more of an assembly of ingredients. I just love eating eggs and asparagus and decided to add a little twist to it. Why not give it a try?
How I made it:
- Lemon juice
- Spicy olive tapenade (or pesto/harissa/sun-dried tomato paste)
- Maldon sea salt (optional) and cracked black pepper
- Trim the woody ends off the asparagus and place them straight into a hot grill pan. Grill them for a couple of minutes on each side, until charred but still has a crunch to it.
- Remove the asparagus and toss them in a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice and place them on a plate.
- Boil an egg for 5 minutes for a soft yolk, slice in half and add to the plate.
- Drizzle over a spicy olive tapenade.
- Lastly, sprinkle over some cracked black pepper and Maldon sea salt. Enjoy!
This makes a great brunch or a light lunch. You can always serve it with some crusty bread to bulk it out.
I’ll be buying a lot more asparagus over the next few weeks while they are in season so I’d love to know how you like to eat yours? Leave me a comment below if you have any ideas for me 🙂
Thanks for reading and please subscribe to my blog below if you want to read more. Have a lovely evening!
I am a food photographer and stylist based in Milton Keynes. Please check out my website to see more of my work at www.jbimagery.co.uk
2 Comments Add yours
Great combination! Asparagus is indeed such a tasty vegetable. 🙂
Thank you! I totally agree! ☺️
LikeLiked by 1 person