Hello everyone 🙂 I hope you’re all well!
I’ve been a little MIA recently. Truth is I’ve been super busy at work (which I’m very grateful for) and decided to take a little break.
My family and I managed to go on our first holiday to Crete a couple of weeks ago. With all the problems with the airlines currently, we didn’t know if we were going to make it! Thankfully we had minimal issues and managed to enjoy some precious quality time together.
We stayed in a beautiful all inclusive resort. We chose all inclusive for the ease of my daughter, however I am always dubious about the quality of food in a large buffet. I didn’t have high expectations but I was very pleasantly surprised. There was a wide variety of local dishes from fresh greek salads, grilled meats and fish, local breads and plenty of feta cheese. One evening they had a whole grilled sea bass on the menu and I was in my element. I gave my daughter all the dessert she wanted so I could enjoy my dinner!
The hotel also had traditional restaurants that we could dine at. This was a lovely break from the buffets and felt a bit more special. We had a range of local dishes from fresh grilled fish and prawns, grilled vegetables and halloumi with couscous. We also had slow cooked lamb which was delicious. And lots of dessert! (See my terrible iPhone images…)
I didn’t take nearly as many photos as I should have. I was too busy eating my way through the week. After all, it’s nice to take a break away from your phone when you’re on holiday.
When I got home I wanted to make something greek inspired but also a little bit of a Friday night treat. I decided to make lamb burgers with grilled peppers and onions, chilli halloumi and tzatziki. It was delicious! I bought the buns, lamb mince and chilli halloumi from Tesco and they really do make a difference. Its a great burger to make on the barbecue if you prefer. Here’s how I made it:
- 2 burger buns
- 1 red onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 little gem lettuce
- 1 chilli halloumi
- 300g lamb mince
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 heaped tsp dried oregano, thyme, smoked paprika, cumin
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 120g cucumber
- 100g greek yoghurt
- 1/2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small handful dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all the ingredients for the lamb patty into a bowl and mix well. Shape the mince into burger patties and leave to marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours if possible.
- To make the tzatziki, grate the cucumber and squeeze out any excess juice. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Slice the red onion and green pepper into rings and grill on a grill pan until charred.
- Slice the halloumi and grill for a minute or two on each side until charred. Then grill the burger buns to warm through.
- Next, cook the patties on the grill pan for a couple of minutes on each side until cooked through. Be careful not to overcook or press them too much as this will dry them out.
- Build your burger and add a large dollop of tzatziki, serve with chips and enjoy!
Thanks for reading and let me know if you give them a try! Have a great evening 🙂
My name is Bhavisha Surti and I am a food photographer and stylist based in Milton Keynes. Please subscribe to my blog below and check out my website to see more of my work at www.jbimagery.co.uk. Thank you!